Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 60--Lucky Me!

So, I've decided I should never say I'm not going someplace. For example, today, I told a guy I was not going to Henley-on-Thames. Yep, I ended up going to Henley-on-Thames. 

First I had no problems following the remainder of Route 5 to Reading. 
The Thames
Countryside from Route 5

However, when I got to Reading and had to find Route 4, it was not so easy. I think it's possible I was on it, but then I had this hair-brained idea to go along the Thames Path. My big mistake was in crossing the river. The path was quite narrow and had those bloody "kissing gates". I asked some other people on bikes if there was a place to cross back over the Thames. They said at Henley-on-Thames I would be able to cross back to the other side. I didn't want to go to Henley! At least at Shiplake, I was able to get off the path. From there it was into Henley where I crossed back to the other side and at least had a hope of finding Route 4. 

According to the route went through a little village called, ironically, Littlewick Green. I asked a guy, and he pointed me in the right direction. Finally, I was on Route 4!

From there I didn't have any problems.
Nice paths through parks.
Stopped to watch the Cricket Match.
Crossing the Thames (this time as part of the route).

As I got closer to Windsor, I thought I should consider where I would be sleeping tonight. The Garmin wasn't much help as it only gave me the Caravan Park in Chertsy which was still about 13 miles away--too far. I came through Eton, and to this bridge in Windsor.
Yes, that's Windsor Castle in the background. I asked the guy in the red striped shirt if he knew of any campgrounds. The only one him and his buddy could think of was back the way I had come. Then this gal (white shirt and sunglasses, looking at the camera) came over and tried to help too. Then she said if she wasn't leaving for South America early in the morning, I could stay with her. I asked if she had a bit of grass I could set up my tent. Then she said I could just come home with her. I said I would be fine with leaving however early she needed. Her name is Jane, and she is very cool! She's travelled everywhere, and is a teacher. I can't believe how lucky I am to be staying with her! She lives in a house with 6 other women (I've met 2 of them). Betsy is in the back garden. Jane says I can sleep as long as I want and just let myself out in the morning. I'll probably get going early though. 

Anyway, I'm off to bed soon. Jane has to get going at 4:45. Here's an additional photo of today's farm animal. Today??? Swine!

 
Total miles today: 66

1 comment:

Maria said...

You're very near Wantage, where Todd and I got married! Funny about you're title for this post - Todd also said he would never get married and I once told him I'd never follow him overseas:) Good thing we go out on a limb every once on a while. Hope England is as good to you as it has been to us. #ThirtyYearsAgo