Saturday, April 12, 2014

Beautiful Spring Day Along the Willamette River

I'm still in Eugene enjoying the nice Spring weather. I planned to ride only to REI and back to see about a new tent. I had my sights set on the new MSR Hubba Hubba NX. What with a 20% coupon, my REI Dividend, and no sales tax, it was a trifecta of savings I couldn't pass up. My other tent, an REI Quarterdome 2 is not keeping the water out like I think it should (even though I sprayed it with waterproofing stuff). It's been on 6 long tours, so I suppose it's served it's purpose. It's still a good tent...if it's not raining.

I arrived at REI only to find that they didn't carry the MSR Hubba Hubba NX in the Eugene store. At least, that's what it looked like. I had decided to get another Quarterdome. As I was looking for one in the bins, I saw a tent in a red stuff sack that was in the bin with the tag facing in. I pulled it out to see what it was, and, lo and behold, it was the MSR! They had the correct footprint too! 

I was so happy to have found the tent, that after I strapped it to the rack on Betsy, I decided to go for a ride along the river. I accessed the South Bank Trail at the Ferry St. Bridge by going east on 3rd. Then I headed west along the trail. I came across these huge geese lounging in the little daisy flower-filled grassy area.

This tree was in full bloom.

There were a lot of people out cycling and walking, but there were moments of clearness.

I rode the South Bank Trail almost to its end, then crossed over the River on one of the path bridges to the North Bank Trail. The North Bank Trail has sections that are narrower than the South Bank.

I rode the North Bank all the way to its end. Coming back I went under a new looking bridge.

Just beyond this bridge there was another path bridge back over to the South Bank Trail. I crossed over, and rode partway back, then went through part of the UofO campus to get to the Amazon Parkway Trail that took me back to Kyle and Mallory's house. 

It was only about 14 miles, but it was a very pleasant ride.

No comments: